Memoir Reading Book Reaction/ Reflection

After reading, Let me Hear Your Voice”, by Catherine Maurice, I felt relieved.  Maurice (she writes under a pseudonym) explains how her daughter Anne-Marie lives her life as an Autistic child.  After reading just the first page, I knew I could relate to her story.  I saw my own son’s behavior when he was first born in the same light.  He was such a good quiet baby who could play for hours, just like Anne-Marie in the book.  For example, she tells about how  Anne- Marie used her thumb and pinky to try and pick up food, ( as opposed to the normal pincer grasp) and how well she behaved for babysitters.  In isolation, those behaviors may mean nothing, but together with other habits and behaviors add up to possible Autism.  Maurice unfortunately also had a son Michael who was Autistic as well.  She tells the story so beautifully, that the reader can’t help but feel they are going through the ordeal as well.  Because I found this story so real and wonderfully written, I would recommend it to all parents and teachers of Autistic children.